Residential Finance Corporation recognizes our privacy obligations to you and is committed that information we keep about you is secure and confidential. We are required by The Federal Financial Privacy Law to inform you of:
- What “nonpublic personal information” we collect
- With whom we share “nonpublic personal information,” and
- How we safeguard your information
How We Collect Your Personal Information
In the course of providing our services to you, we collect and maintain nonpublic personal information about you that is provided to us by you or obtained by us from third parties with your authorization from the following sources:
- What you told us during in-person or telephone interviews about financial products, including your name, address, telephone and social security numbers;
- What you filled out or discussed with our mortgage employees during a mortgage application process, including your housing information, salary and employment details, creditors’ names and addresses. Information may also be obtained from one or more Consumer Reporting Agencies if a credit report is authorized and used for loan and/or financial verification purposes;
- Data from any documents, financial statements, bank records, or employment materials that you provide to us and from creditors that we contact on your behalf with your authorization;
- Data that you enter into our interactive Internet forms and programs;
- Information contained in emails, letters and other written correspondence from you; and
- Information that you verbally share with us on the phone or in person.
With Whom We Share Your Personal Information
For both current and former consumers and/or customers, we do not share your personal information with anyone else except (1) as required or permitted by law, or (2) if you specifically request that we do to further process mortgage loans and/or financial products. The information shared with other entities is limited to that which is needed to process mortgage documents, loans, refinances, or other offered financial products requested by you. Permitted disclosures may include providing information in limited circumstances to unrelated third parties who need to know that information to assist us in providing services to you.
- Upon requesting an application or other mortgage or financial services product from us, we may share pertinent information with funding sources for the purposes of securing loans, other funding, reporting, or other financial verification purposes. These sources include, but are not limited to, private banks, lending, or financial services institutions and may include other government entities or lenders.
- We may share certain de-identified or aggregate data that is based on or derived from your personal information, for research, reporting or other permitted purposes, including tracking information obtained from our Internet site to assess our website’s usefulness. However, all personally identifiable information about you is removed before any such aggregate information is shared.
Safeguarding Your Personal Information
We retain records generally for a minimum of four years relating to the financial services that we provide to you. We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards such as: file encryption, password protection, and secure network transmissions to secure and guard your information. Physical access to files containing personal information is restricted and controlled.
To Opt Out of Having Your Information Shared
If you have previously authorized us to share any of your personal information, and you no longer wish for us to share such information, you may opt out of having us share such information in the future. To opt out, please call our National Headquarters at (614) 324-4700 or write to: Residential Finance Corporation, 401 N. Front Street, Ste. 300, Columbus, OH 43215.
To Get More Information